Write an essay in response to one of the following topics. Your essay should be 4-5 pages long, and develop a thesis as fully and coherently as possible. All examples and selections discussed should be those assigned for this course.
1. To a certain extent much American writing exhibits stylistic qualities found in colonial American writing; such qualities include a) energy of expression, b) closeness to facts of everyday life, and c) directness of language. Choose one of these qualities and discuss the extent to which works by two Puritan writers, Franklin’s Autobiography, and two works by Romantic writers exhibit this quality.
2. Poe argues in “The Philosophy of Composition and in “The Review of Hawthorne’s Twice-Told Tales that all great art is organic–the parts must fit together to achieve a predetermined purpose. Discuss the extent to which six works by different authors illustrate Poe’s idea.
3. Benjamin Franklin believed that writing should be both useful and interesting; to what varying degree do Franklin’s own works, those of at least two Puritans, and works of three Romantics illustrate these qualities? Use representative examples rather than whole careers.
4. Puritan writing has a strong ethical bias; its primary purpose is to assist the individual in reaching salvation. What support do you find for this statement in the works of any two Puritan writers? To what extent do Franklin and any three of the other non-Puritan writers we have studied exhibit a similar concern for salvation?
5. Choose two works from each of the Puritan, Enlightenment, and Romantic periods and discuss the extent to which these works differ in respect to a theme of your choice.
6. Choose two works from each of the Puritan, Enlightenment, and Romantic periods and discuss the extent to which these works differ in respect to a literary technique or stylistic device of your choice.
Southwestern Energy Company s balance sheet includes the asset Iron Ore Rights. Southwestern Energy paid $2.2 million cash for the right to work a mine that contained an ...Apr 14 2020
The S&P index is currently is at 1,145. You manage a $15 million equity portfolio with a beta of 1.12. The S&P 500 futures contract has a multiplier of 250. How many cont...Aug 11 2021
At a signalized intersection, one lane is observed to discharge 40 through vehicles in the same time as the left lane discharges 10 through vehicles and 20 left-turning v...Apr 27 2020
Ethical Issues: (LO 5) The Bedron Company is a closely held investment service group that has been quite successful over the past five years, consistently providing most ...Apr 08 2020
The City of Evanston is considering purchasing a new fleet of police cars. The initial cost of the fleet is $500,000. The city expects operations and maintenance costs to...Jun 24 2021
Suppose the price of a product rises and the total revenue of sellers increases. a. It can be concluded that the demand for the product is elastic. b. It can be con...Jun 07 2021
The law of diminishing marginal returns shows the relationship betweenA. inputs and outputs for a firm in the short run.B. inputs and outputs for a firm in the long run.C...May 06 2021
TRUE OR FALSE: Absolute extreme values of a function on a closedinterval always occur at a critical point or an endpoint of aninterval. Please give an example if true OR falseAug 20 2021
Finding the Unit Tangent Vector In Exercises 3-8, find the unit tangent vector to the curve at the specified value of the parameter.Aug 08 2021
China dragon purchased new restaurant equipment on September 1, 2018, for 9,000. Residual value at the end of an estimated 4 â year service life is expected to be 2,300...Jul 27 2021