Use the following information to work Problem 1.
Manoj Singh says that many Indians lack the education to participate in the expansion of the country’shigh tech industries. To remedy this situation, he wants India to create more world-class universities. He also believes that India’s labor laws are too restrictive and discourage the movement of people and human capital between regions and industries.
Source:Manoj Singh,The Financial Times, May 15, 2007
1. How would building more universities change India’s current and future production possibilities? Illustrate your answer by drawing India’s current and futurePPFs.
Use the following information to work Problems 2 and 3.
The U.S. Department of Labor reported that Michigan’s unemployment rate in June 2009 rose to 15.2%, becoming the first state in 25 years to suffer an unemployment rate exceeding 15%. Michigan has been battered by the collapse of the auto industry and the housing crisis and has had the highest unemployment rate in the nation for the past 12 months.
Source:CNNMoney, July 17, 2009
2. Why is the reality of the unemployment problem in Michigan actually worse than the unemployment rate statistic of 15.2 percent?
3. Is this higher unemployment rate in Michigan frictional, structural, or cyclical? Explain.
Use the following information to work Problems 4 and 5.
The Fed has consistently said that it will not raise the federal funds rate any time soon. The Fed’s challenge will be how to get monetary policy back to normal over the next several years. The Fed has to make a judgment about timing—tightening too early could send the economy back into recession, as happened during the late 1930s; waiting too long would set the stage for inflation.
Source:The New York Times, November 5, 2009
4. If the recovery continues and inflation starts to rise, what effect will the Fed’s decision to not change the federal funds rate have on the U.S. economy?
5. If the economic recovery slows and the economy slips back into recession, what effect will the Fed’s no-change decision have on the economy?
6. G-20 leaders look to shake off lingering economic troubles
For the world economy to emerge stronger from the global financial crisis, experts say that savings by the United States, investment by Japan, and consumption by China will all have to increase.
Source:USA Today, September 23, 2009
Explain how the experts’ advice will affect the market for loanable funds in the United States, in Japan, and in China.
Use the following information to work Problem 7.
Federal deficit hits record $1.42 trillion -In 2009, the government collected $2.10 trillion in revenues, a drop of 16.6 percent while government spending jumped to $3.52 trillion, up 18.2 percent over 2008. The Obama administration has pledged to include a deficit-reduction plan in its 2011 budget, which will go to Congress in February 2010.
Source:Charleston Daily Mail, October 16, 2009
7. If the deficit-reduction plan includes a cut in transfer payments and a rise in taxes of the same amount, how will this policy influence the budget deficit and real GDP?
8. Bernanke raises alarm on spending -Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke warned that government spending and budget deficit threaten financial stability and might be setting the scene for the next crisis.
Source:The Globe and Mail, June 4, 2009
How might a large increase in government spending and the government's budget deficit threaten financial stability and make the Fed's job harder?
A study was conducted to investigate the relationship between the resale price, y (in hundreds of dollars), and the age, x (in years), of midsize luxury American automob...Jun 22 2020
(Ignore income taxes in this problem.) Beaver Corporation is investigating the purchase of anew threading machine that costs $18,000. The machine would save about $4,000 ...Jun 23 2020
What problems do you think might arise in extreme programming teams where many management decisions are devolved to the team members? >Apr 09 2020
Using Stoke theorem evaluate integral over C F.dr where C is a circle with centre (0,0,3) and radius 5 in the plane z =3. F = (2x+y-2z)I +(2x-4y+y^2)j+(x-2y-z^2)k >Aug 07 2020
Problem 16-4 Break Even EBIT Franklin Corporation is comparing two different capital structures, an all-equity plan (Plan I) and a levered plan (Plan II) Under Plan I, th...Apr 13 2020
Which of the following is the part of the job characteristic model? a) Task identity.b) Extrinsic motivation.c) Self-actualization needs.d) All of the above.Apr 19 2021
On July 1, 2016, Roland Company exchanged 18,000 of its $45 fair value ($1 par value) shares for all the outstanding shares of Downes Company. Roland paid acquisition cos...Apr 19 2020
Russo Corporation had only one job in process during June-Job G431-and had no finished goods inventory on July 1. Job G431 was started in May and finished during June. Da...May 22 2020
An attractive aspect of employer educational assistance is that in most cases the aid is not considered taxable income for the employee.22.Kevin is undergoing chemotherap...Dec 13 2019
I understand that it is smart to isolate relevant cost sometimes instead of total cost, but how do you know when it is more efficient to isolate relevant cost sometimes?Jun 15 2021