This learning activity begins with a knowledge of the course material in Reed, Pagattaro, Cahoy, Shedd, and Magid (2015, ch. 15) and a supposition; i.e., suppose it has been two years since your graduation. During the time you have worked for a large energy company. In your work, you have been exposed to the numerous ways your employer is investing in energy. These sources include oil, coal, natural gas, solar, wind, nuclear, and electrical plants.
Just last month, you were told you were being transferred to the CEO's office. Your first assignment is to work with the general counsel's staff to determine how your company is regulated and how all divisions are complying with the various, relevant laws and regulations. As you ponder this assignment, you ask yourself the following questions:
Is this company regulated only by the federal government, or are state and local regulations relevant?
How does the company and its divisions keep track of laws and regulations?
If an administrative agency begins an investigation of your company, should your company cooperate with or fight the agency's action?
2. You and a former classmate started a computer software company five years ago. Originally, the two of you were the owners and only employees. The foundation of your company was your combined expertise in creating custom-designed applications addressing the human resource needs of your clients. As your company grew, you added programmers that now allow your business to provide a greater array of computer applications. You and your co-owner decide to raise capital by making a public offering of stock. In preparation for going public, you visit with several of your most valuable clients about investing in your company.
3. Based on your reading of chapter 19 of Reed, Pagattaro, Cahoy, Shedd, and Magid (2015), what problem does the Kyoto Protocol address and what conclusions were reached?
4. International Paint Company wants to sell a large tract of land with several facilities on it to U.S. Parts Inc. As acquisitions manager for U.S. Parts, what do you need to know before buying this land, other than that International Paint has good ownership, that your company needs the site, and that the price is right?
Why might you need to know the environmental condition of the land? What steps might you want to take before buying the land? (Reed, Pagattaro, Cahoy, Shedd, & Magid, 2015, p. 544)
5. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act provides protections for whistleblowers so that individuals are more willing to report the corruption that can lead to major scandals (Reed, Pagattaro, Cahoy, Shedd, & Magid, 2015). Why are audit committees required to adopt procedures that ensure whistleblowers' reports are taken seriously?
6. In the wake of the recent shootings in Las Vegas, what is your opinion of the fact that each time we have such disasters, the talk turns to gun control? Should we look at Australia whose murder rate was reduced after it passed its gun control law in 1996 precipitated by the Port Arthur Massacre that banned certain semi-automatic, self-loading rifles and shotguns, and imposed stricter licensing and registration requirements? It was amended in 2002 restricting the caliber, barrel length and capacity for sport shooting handguns (Kiely, 2017).
Consider the recent explosion at the Arkema Plant that was allegedly the result of Hurricane Harvey's fury. Lawsuits are being filed; one of which is the first responders lawsuit described at the following link: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/09/first-responders-file-suit-against-exploding-houston-chemical-plant/539154/ A second lawsuit has been filed as a class action. See the following link that discusses the second lawsuit and why it was filed: www.khou.com/news/local/crosby-residents-file-second-lawsuit-against-arkema-following-crosby-plant-explosion/480592060
What are some of the actions the company should have taken to avoid what occurred? What are some possible EPA or OSHA violations?
8. After watching the video, "Compliance and Sustainability", discuss the effect of environmental laws on today's business environment (Bennell, 2016).
1. Draw a diagram of a carrier wave envelope when modulated 50 percent by a sinusoidal wave. Indicate on the diagram the dimensions from which the percentage of modulatio...Jul 29 2020
A major component of gasoline is octane C8H18. When liquid octane is burned in air it reacts with oxygen O2 gas to produce carbon dioxide gas and water vapor. Calculate t...May 14 2021
What is a major characteristic of a pure market economy? A. regulated pricesB.strong government planningC.an oversupply of laborD.unrestricted competitionJul 02 2021
Liz and John formed the equal LJ Partnership on January 1 of the current year. Liz contributed $80,000 of cash and land with a fair market value of $90,000 and an adjuste...Sep 03 2020
Use logarithmic differentiation to find the derivative of the function: y = (sin x) x Find inflection points of y = In (1+x). Write the points (ordered pairs) in the box,Apr 20 2021
Consider the following demand function and the supply schedule for bread: Demand function: Qd = -2P+20 and;Supply schedule:PQs44812a. determine the supply function and so...Jul 04 2021
If a firm is unable to keep its national markets separate, individuals or businesses may undercut its attempt at price discrimination by engaging in _____. A. speculatio...Jan 11 2020
Match the concepts:1 - _____ muscles and glandsa - integrating center2 - _____ positive feedbackb - reverses an altered condition3 - _____ sites of body receptorsc - eyes...Jun 22 2021
The Banco Central administered a humanitarian plan for the government of Ecuador. Fernando Banderas and his wife presented false claims that the bank paid. After the frau...Aug 01 2021
Findings of HR audit in Walmart( What did you find from HR audit in Walmart? What are the HR related issues found in Walmart in COVID-19 situation?Give recommendations to...Apr 12 2021