This learning activity begins with a knowledge of the course material in Reed, Pagattaro, Cahoy, Shedd, and Magid (2015, ch. 15) and a supposition; i.e., suppose it has been two years since your graduation. During the time you have worked for a large energy company. In your work, you have been exposed to the numerous ways your employer is investing in energy. These sources include oil, coal, natural gas, solar, wind, nuclear, and electrical plants.
Just last month, you were told you were being transferred to the CEO's office. Your first assignment is to work with the general counsel's staff to determine how your company is regulated and how all divisions are complying with the various, relevant laws and regulations. As you ponder this assignment, you ask yourself the following questions:
Is this company regulated only by the federal government, or are state and local regulations relevant?
How does the company and its divisions keep track of laws and regulations?
If an administrative agency begins an investigation of your company, should your company cooperate with or fight the agency's action?
2. You and a former classmate started a computer software company five years ago. Originally, the two of you were the owners and only employees. The foundation of your company was your combined expertise in creating custom-designed applications addressing the human resource needs of your clients. As your company grew, you added programmers that now allow your business to provide a greater array of computer applications. You and your co-owner decide to raise capital by making a public offering of stock. In preparation for going public, you visit with several of your most valuable clients about investing in your company.
3. Based on your reading of chapter 19 of Reed, Pagattaro, Cahoy, Shedd, and Magid (2015), what problem does the Kyoto Protocol address and what conclusions were reached?
4. International Paint Company wants to sell a large tract of land with several facilities on it to U.S. Parts Inc. As acquisitions manager for U.S. Parts, what do you need to know before buying this land, other than that International Paint has good ownership, that your company needs the site, and that the price is right?
Why might you need to know the environmental condition of the land? What steps might you want to take before buying the land? (Reed, Pagattaro, Cahoy, Shedd, & Magid, 2015, p. 544)
5. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act provides protections for whistleblowers so that individuals are more willing to report the corruption that can lead to major scandals (Reed, Pagattaro, Cahoy, Shedd, & Magid, 2015). Why are audit committees required to adopt procedures that ensure whistleblowers' reports are taken seriously?
6. In the wake of the recent shootings in Las Vegas, what is your opinion of the fact that each time we have such disasters, the talk turns to gun control? Should we look at Australia whose murder rate was reduced after it passed its gun control law in 1996 precipitated by the Port Arthur Massacre that banned certain semi-automatic, self-loading rifles and shotguns, and imposed stricter licensing and registration requirements? It was amended in 2002 restricting the caliber, barrel length and capacity for sport shooting handguns (Kiely, 2017).
Consider the recent explosion at the Arkema Plant that was allegedly the result of Hurricane Harvey's fury. Lawsuits are being filed; one of which is the first responders lawsuit described at the following link: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/09/first-responders-file-suit-against-exploding-houston-chemical-plant/539154/ A second lawsuit has been filed as a class action. See the following link that discusses the second lawsuit and why it was filed: www.khou.com/news/local/crosby-residents-file-second-lawsuit-against-arkema-following-crosby-plant-explosion/480592060
What are some of the actions the company should have taken to avoid what occurred? What are some possible EPA or OSHA violations?
8. After watching the video, "Compliance and Sustainability", discuss the effect of environmental laws on today's business environment (Bennell, 2016).
Review In Exercises 71-76, determine the convergence or divergence of the series using any appropriate test from this chapter. Identify the test used.Aug 15 2021
Which of the following is an example of a normative economic statement?A) A cut in the tax rate will lead to an increase in consumption. B) An increase in subsidies to f...May 09 2021
Methods of Integration Show that the following results are equivalent. (You will learn about integration by tables in Section 8.7.)Integration by tables:Integration by co...Jul 26 2021
Economic order quantity for retailer. Wonder Line (WL) operates a megastore featuring sports merchandise. It uses an EOQ decision model to make inventory decisions. It is...Jul 17 2020
A prescription calls for 30 mg of the active ingredient Based on the MW of the prescription balance and aliquot method a stock supply is prepared from 120 mg of an activ...May 23 2021
The process of creating value from intellectual capital and sharing that knowledge with employees, managers, suppliers, customers, and others who need that capital is ref...Dec 07 2019
Liquid bromine and aqueous sodium chloride are produced by the reaction of chlorine gas and aqueous sodium bromide .Write a balanced chemical equation for this reaction.May 20 2021
The Gantt Chart (invented by Henry L. Gantt), still used today in the production planning area of many organizations, is a method for comparing the actual and planned per...Dec 05 2017
Serenity Garden Inc. produces and sells a variety of garden accessories. One of the product lines the company makes is un painted gnome statues that come in three sizes: ...Apr 20 2018
The term "daluyong" means: A. Low Pressure Area B. Cold Front C. Storm Surge D. Tsunami E. Intertropical Convergence ZoneJul 10 2021