The decision to terminate an employee is management's role. HR's primary role is to:
A) implement outplacement services immediately.
B) serve as the employee's advocate against management.
C) make certain the employee receives due process.
D) document poor performance so the termination can be justified.
42) Alex is a first-line supervisor with an employee who has a performance problem. After coaching the employee with no improvement, Alex decides to terminate the employment relationship. Which term refers to this type of separation?
D) Early retirement
43) Bertha wishes to discharge one of her poorly performing employees. She has tried progressive discipline with no effect. She asks you, the HR manager, what she must do to discharge the employee. You should most likely tell her the policy and procedures, and then ask her if she has ________ in order to protect the company from a wrongful discharge suit.
A) documented the inappropriate behavior
B) given sixty days notice as required by law
C) used non-progressive disciplinary actions
D) analyzed the department's diversity levels
44) Delmus' performance reports have been increasingly poor, and he seems to have negative relationships with other workers in his department. His line manager has taken him aside twice to discuss his behavior and work and has offered him time to improve, but there has been very little positive progress. Management decides to end the employment relationship with Delmus. This is an example of a:
45) The primary difference between a layoff and a discharge is:
A) a layoff is an involuntary separation and a discharge is a voluntary separation.
B) a layoff is a voluntary separation and a discharge is an involuntary separation.
C) a discharge occurs when the company's strategy forces it to reduce its workforce and a layoff occurs when there is a poor fit between the employee and the organization.
D) a layoff occurs when the company's strategy forces it to reduce its workforce and a discharge occurs when there is a poor fit between the employee and the organization.
46) Layoffs are most likely to occur because:
A) the firm offers lucrative incentives to reduce the workforce.
B) adequate documentation exists of the worker's poor performance.
C) a poor fit exists between the employee and the company.
D) the company's strategy forces a reduction in its workforce.
47) All of the following are primary reasons for layoffs EXCEPT:
C) global competition
D) technology advancements
48) Dixon Enterprises needs to reduce its long-term workforce. The firm wants to reduce the scale and scope of its business to improve financial performance. The company is most likely:
A) conducting a layoff.
C) buying out the workforce.
49) If a business is downsizing, it is most likely:
A) offering training and development opportunities to new hires.
B) improving worker efficiency through reorganization.
C) reducing the size and scope of the business.
D) offering early retirements to older workers.
50) A firm with too many management layers and bureaucratic work processes would most likely benefit from:
D) early retirements.
51) The major difference between downsizing and rightsizing is that:
A) rightsizing reduces the size and scope of a business, while downsizing reorganizes the business.
B) more workers are likely to lose their jobs during rightsizing than during downsizing.
C) downsizing reduces the size and scope of a business, while rightsizing reorganizes the business.
D) rightsizing attempts to improve financial performance, while downsizing attempts to increase efficiency.
Since World War II GATT has been responsible for reducing the average tariff among memeber countries from about.A. 40 percent to about 5 percentB. 40 percent to about 20 ...May 28 2018
Berlioz Inc. is trying to estimate its cost of capital and it has the following information. The firm has a beta of 1.5, the before-tax cost of the firm's debt is 5%, and...Apr 14 2020
The balanced scorecard is a strategy performance management tool that can be used by managers to keep track of the execution of activities by the staff within their contr...Jun 04 2020
2x - 4 = 27?Apr 17 2020
Researchers determine in a case control study that 20 of 100 patients with bladder cancer smoke cigarettes while 40 of 600 patients without bladder cancer smoke cigarette...Aug 02 2020
What is the CFM requirement for a ventilation system to provide 1.5 air changes per hour in an 1800 square foot house with a 10 foot ceiling?Jun 11 2021
In developed countries, the amount of time that people spend working has been falling steadily. Suppose that two economists offer the following explanations.(1) Wages hav...Jun 04 2021
Managers vary in their assumptions about people working in an organization. Which of the following manager types would best describe an individual who believes that most ...Dec 07 2017
Consider the following statements about an M/M/1 queueing system and its utilization factor ρ. Label each of the statements as true or false, and then justify your answer...Aug 06 2020
Suppose the risk-free interest rate is 4%. a. i. Use the beta you calculated for the stock in Problem 33(a) to estimate its expected return. ii. How does this compare w...Jun 07 2021