From their position in the periodic table we would predict that both oxygen and sulfur would have a charge of
From their position in the periodic table, we would predict that both oxygen and sulfur would have a charge of 2? in a binary ionic compound.
102. In the old system of naming ionic compounds formed from metals with two different charges, the suffix –ous is used for the higher charge, while the suffix –ic indicates the lower charge.
103. Polyatomic ions that contain oxygen attached to some other element are called oxoanions.
104. Nonelectrolytes are compounds which break apart into ions when dissolved in water.
105. A molecular compound is composed of atoms of a metal and a nonmetal.
106. Most molecular compounds remain as molecules when dissolved in water.