On January 1, Intergen, Inc., invests $200,000 for a 40 percent interest in Ryan, a new joint ven- ture with two other partners each investing $150,000 for 30 percent interests. Intergen plans to sell all of its production to Ryan, which will resell the inventory to retail outlets. The equity partners
The Equity Method of Accounting for Investments 37
agree that Ryan will buy inventory only from Intergen. Also, Intergen plans to use the equity method for financial reporting.
During the year, Intergen expects to incur costs of $850,000 to produce goods with a final retail market value of $1,200,000. Ryan projects that, during this year, it will resell three-fourths of these goods for $900,000. It should sell the remainder in the following year.
The equity partners plan a meeting to set the price Intergen will charge Ryan for its production. One partner suggests a transfer price of $1,025,000 but is unsure whether it will result in an equi- table return across the equity holders. Importantly, Intergen agrees that its total rate of return (including its own operations and its investment in Ryan) should be equal to that of the other investors’ return on their investments in Ryan. All agree that Intergen’s value including its invest- ment in Ryan is $1,000,000.
1. Create an Excel spreadsheet analysis showing the following:
• Projected income statements for Intergen and Ryan. Formulate the statements to do the following:
• Link Ryan’s cost of goods sold to Intergen’s sales (use a starting value of $1,025,000 for
• Link Intergen’s equity in Ryan’s earnings to Ryan’s net income (adjusted for Intergen’s gross profit rate 3 Ryan’s ending inventory 3 40 percent ownership percentage).
• Be able to change Intergen’s sales and see the effects throughout the income statements of Ryan and Intergen. Note that the cost of goods sold for Intergen is fixed.
• The rate of return for the two 30 percent equity partners on their investment in Ryan.
• The total rate of return for Intergen based on its $1,000,000 value.
2. What transfer price will provide an equal rate of return for each of the investors in the first year of operation? ( Hint: Under Excel’s Tools menu, use the Goal Seek or Solver capability to produce a zero difference in rates of return across the equity partners by changing the cell that contains Intergen’s sales.)
Access The Coca-Cola Company’s SEC 10-K filing at www.coca-cola.com and address the following:
1. What companies does Coca-Cola describe as significant equity method investments? How do these investments help Coca-Cola?
2. What criteria does Coca-Cola use in choosing to apply the equity method for these investments?
3. How does Coca-Cola describe its application of the equity method?
4. What amount of equity income did Coca-Cola report?
5. Coca-Cola reports the fair values of its publicly traded bottlers accounted for as equity method investments. List the book values and fair values for these equity method investments that have publically traded data. Discuss the relevance of each of these two values.
Suppose 200 misprints ar distributed randomly throughout a book of 600 pages. Find the probability that a given page contains. (a) exactly two misprints (b) two or more misprintsMay 01 2020
A thin layer of liquid, draining from an inclined plane, has a velocity profile where v0 is the surface velocity. If the plane has width 10 cm into the paper, determine ...Mar 28 2020
YearCost of consumerNominal Wage: manufacturingNominal Wage: professional servicesNominal Wage Leisure and HospitalityNominal Wage: Informational1980$82$7.52$7.48$4.05$9....May 26 2020
The local police department must write on average five tickets per day to keep department revenues at budgeted levels. suppose the number of tickets written per day follo...Apr 20 2020
To create the shopping Alfred's Department Store has a staff of interior designers who rearrange product displays, select new music to play throughout the store and adjus...May 04 2020
Draw short-run firm and industry competitive equilibriums for a perfectly competitive gator farming industry before the number of alligator farms in Florida doubled. Fo...Mar 30 2020
There is frequent confusion about the terms asymmetric information, moral hazard and adverse selection? Asymmetric information is the cause, moral hazard and adverse sele...Feb 06 2020
Two trains of equal length are running on parallel lines in the same direction at 46 km/hr and 36 km/hr. The faster train passes the slower train in 36 seconds. The lengt...Apr 27 2020
Chromatogram Comparisons Chromatography is a process used to separate and analyze complex mixtures and is commonly used in forensic science to isolate compounds and ev...Apr 17 2020
As shown in Fig. P4.37, air enters the diffuser of a jetengine operating at steady state at 18 kPa, 216 K and a velocity of 265 m/s, all datacorresponding to high altitud...May 08 2020
Welcome to MyCourseHelp Services, World's leading Academic solutions provider with Millions of Happy Students.