ESSAY QUESTION ANSWERS MUST BE 5 PARAGRAPHS LONG.
6. ESSAY QUESTION: What does it mean to say that managers should maximize shareholder wealth "subject to ethical constraints"? What ethical considerations might enter into decisions that result in cash flow and stock price effects that are less than they might otherwise have been?
7. ESSAY QUESTION: The Securities Exchange Act of 1934 limits, but does not prohibit, corporate insiders from trading in their own firm's shares. What ethical issues might arise when a corporate insider wants to buy or sell shares in the firm where he or she works?
8. ESSAY QUESTION: Do some reading in periodicals and/or on the Internet to find out more about the Sarbanes-Oxley Act's provisions for companies. Select one of those provisions, and indicate why you think financial statements will be more trust-worthy if company financial executives implement this provision of SOX.
9. ESSAY QUESTION: The SEC is trying to get companies to notify the investment community more quickly when a "material change" will affect their forthcoming financial results. In what sense might a financial manager be seen as "more ethical" if he or she follows this directive and issues a press release indicating that sales will not be as high as previously anticipated?
10. ESSAY QUESTION: A manager at a "Check Into Cash" business (see Focus on Ethics box on page 192) defends his business practice as simply "charging what the market will bear." "After all," says the manager, "we don't force people to come in the door." How would you respond to this ethical defense of the payday-advance business?
11. ESSAY QUESTION: Bond rating agencies have invested significant sums of money in an effort to determine which quantitative and non-quantitative factors best predict bond defaults. Furthermore, some of the raters invest time and money to meet privately with corporate personnel to get nonpublic information that is used in assigning the issue's bond rating. To recoup those costs, some bond rating agencies have tied their ratings to the purchase of additional services. Do you believe that this is an acceptable practice? Defend your position. The next three questions refer to this news item: Satellite-radio firm Sirius XM posted earnings and showed some signs of improvement over last year. The company expanded its subscriber base following recession driven subscriber losses in the past year. Revenues were up to a record $629.6 million and losses narrowed to $181.9 million from $217 million the previous year. Investors perceived the news to be positive and pushed stock prices up by about five percent to 64 cents a share. Analysts believe the company's growth will slow significantly in the future but for the moment is driven by the sales of new cars that come equipped with satellite-radio service. The general consensus is that Sirius will have to become more efficient and slash costs to become profitable. In the meantime, the company continues to pursue subscribers via channels like the new Apple iPhone application released last week. Source: Kharif, Olga, "Sirius XM: The Good and Bad Earnings News," Business Week, BusinessWeek.com, http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2009/tc2009115_002716.htm, posted 11/05/2009.
12. What should be the primary goal of Sirius XM management?
A. generate efficiency. B. maximize profits. C. minimize costs. D. maximize stock price.
13. Stock prices responding instantly to the release of new information illustrate which of the following concepts? A. investor acumen. B. profitability. C. market efficiency. D. none of the above.
14. Which of the following is not a form of the efficient markets hypothesis?
A. semi-strong form. B. weak form. C. super-strong form. D. strong form.
According to the reasoning of the court in the Bauer case, when do different employment standards for men and women satisfy Title VII's requirement of equality?Jul 07 2021
A two-dimensional rectangular plate is subjected to the boundary conditions shown. Derive an expression for the steady-state temperature distribution T(x, y).Jun 28 2020
The following describe several different business organizations. Determine whether each description best refers to a sole proprietorship (SP), partnership (P), corporati...Aug 27 2020
What is the name of the following I.U.P.A.C compound?Aug 20 2021
A countercurrent heat exchanger is used to cool 0.55 kg/s of a chemical compound (cp = 2.45 kJ/kg) from 115 ºC to 40 ºC using water. Water inlet and outlet temperatures a...Jul 18 2020
International financial markets. Carrefour the French Supermarket chain has established retail out- lets worldwide. These outlets are massive and con- tain products purch...Aug 13 2020
Lee Financial Services pays employees monthly. Payroll information is listed below for January 2018, the first month of Lee's fiscal year. Assume that none of the employe...Jul 19 2021
For each of the events listed in question 3, use the ASAD apparatus to show the effect on output and on the overall price level. 5. Put yourself in the shoes of an econom...Jun 04 2020
What are the ethical issues in this situation? Can you find other real-world examples of how companies address this type of issue? What do you think most people would d...Mar 21 2020
Many consumer groups feel that the U. S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) drug approval process is too easy and, as a result, too many drugs are approved that are later...Jun 19 2020