Cost Classification and Cost Behavior
Heritage Company manufactures a beautiful bookcase that enjoys widespread popularity. The company has a backlog of orders that is large enough to keep production going indefinitely at the plant’s full capacity of 4,000 bookcases per year. Annual cost data at full capacity follow:
1. Prepare an answer sheet with the column headings shown below. Enter each cost item on your answer sheet, placing the dollar amount under the appropriate headings. As examples, this has been done already for the first two items in the list above. Note that each cost item is classified in two ways: first, as either variable or fixed with respect to the number of units produced and sold; and second, as either a selling and administrative cost or a product cost. (If the item is a product cost, it should also be classified as either direct or indirect as shown.)
2. Total the dollar amounts in each of the columns in (1) above. Compute the average product cost per bookcase.
3. Due to a recession, assume that production drops to only 2,000 bookcases per year. Would you expect the average product cost per bookcase to increase, decrease, or remain unchanged? Explain. No computations are necessary.
4. Refer to the original data. The president’s next-door neighbor has considered making himself a bookcase and has priced the necessary materials at a building supply store. He has asked the president whether he could purchase a bookcase from the Heritage Company “at cost,” and the president has agreed to let him do so.
a. Would you expect any disagreement between the two men over the price the neighbor should pay? Explain. What price does the president probably have in mind? The neighbor?
b. Because the company is operating at full capacity, what cost term used in the chapter might be justification for the president to charge the full, regular price to the neighbor and still be selling “at cost”? Explain.
A 1 m2 region in Utah is hit by 4 Use the method of support to test whether the above samples differ. A 1 m2 region in Utah is hit by 4Nov 25 2019
Cycle Time for a Manufacturing CellThe U-shaped manufacturing cell shown in Figure CS29 at the VBo Newton Company, has five single-cycle automatic machine tools (labeled ...Jul 01 2020
The file P03_15.xlsx contains monthly data on the various components of the Consumer Price Index (CPI). The source claims that these data have been seasonally adjusted. T...May 08 2020
Characterize the following events as being prounion or antiunion: the Taft-Hartley Act, the Wagner Act, the Landrum-Griffin Act, the National Labor Relat...Dec 11 2019
Abigail Simpson manages the twelve engineers assigned to her department at Excellent Engineering, Inc. Ms. Simpson consistently makes requests clearly and politely to her...Mar 26 2018
Area, Volume, and Surface Area In Exercises 75 and 76, find (a) the area of the region bounded by the ellipse, (b) the volume and surface area of the solid generated by r...Aug 03 2021
Locatea list of the 100 best companies to work for by using a search engine.Researchcompanies from that list to ensure sufficient information is available to review the O...May 01 2020
1. Competitive markets are characterized bya. The interdependence of firms.b. A small number of buyers and sellers.c. Free entry and exit by firms.d. Unique products.2. A...Apr 27 2021
The Polyana Shoe Store had sales last year of $50,000,000 based upon a cost of goods sold of $40,000,000. Polyana also has inventory, accounts receivable, and accounts pa...Feb 13 2020
A medical researcher wishes to try three different techniques to lower blood pressure of patients with high blood pressure. The subjects are randomly selected and assign...Apr 05 2020