Create an Account

Already have account?

Forgot Your Password ?

Home / Questions / Consider the following sample of observations on coating thickness for low-viscosity paint

Consider the following sample of observations on coating thickness for low-viscosity paint

Consider the following sample of observations on coating thickness for low-viscosity paint.

0.82   0.88   0.88   1.04   1.09   1.17   1.29   1.31
1.33   1.49   1.59   1.62   1.65   1.71   1.76   1.83

Assume that the distribution of coating thickness is normal (a normal probability plot strongly supports this assumption).

(a) Calculate a point estimate of the mean value of coating thickness. (Round your answer to four decimal places.)

(b) Calculate a point estimate of the median of the coating thickness distribution. (Round your answer to four decimal places.)

State which estimator you used and which estimator you might have used instead. (Select all that apply.)

(c) Calculate a point estimate of the value that separates the largest 10% of all values in the thickness distribution from the remaining 90%. [Hint: Express what you are trying to estimate in terms of Î¼ and Ïƒ.] (Round your answer to four decimal places.)

(d) Estimate P(X < 1.6), i.e., the proportion of all thickness values less than 1.6. [Hint: If you knew the values of Î¼ and Ïƒ, you could calculate this probability. These values are not available, but they can be estimated.] (Round your answer to four decimal places.)

(e) What is the estimated standard error of the estimator that you used in part (b)? (Round your answer to four decimal places.)

Apr 25 2020 View more View Less

Answer (Solved)

question Subscribe To Get Solution

Related Questions