Create an Account

Already have account?

Forgot Your Password ?

Home / Questions / Company A has $60 million in debt and $40 million in equity (stock). The debt matures in o...

Company A has $60 million in debt and $40 million in equity (stock). The debt matures in one year and has a 10% interest rate, so the company is promising to pay back $66 million to its debtholders on

  1. Company A has $60 million in debt and $40 million in equity (stock). The debt matures in one year and has a 10% interest rate, so the company is promising to pay back $66 million to its debtholders one year from now.

The company is considering two possible investments, each of which will require an upfront cost of $100 million. Each investment will last for one year and the cash flow from each investment depends on the strength of the overall economy. There is a 40% chance that the economy will be weak and 60% chance it will be strong.

Here are the expected cash flows (all dollars are in millions) from the two investments.

Cash flow in one year if          Cash flow in one year if                   Expected

                      The economy is weak              the economy is strong                     Cash flow

Investment X            $80.00                                      $130.00                                 $110.00

Investment Y              35.00                                        160.00                                   110.00

Assume that if the company doesn’t have enough funds to pay off its debtholders one year from now, then Company A will declare bankruptcy. If bankruptcy is declared, the debtholders will receive all available funds and the stockholders will receive nothing.

  1. If the company invest in Investment X. What is the expected cash flow to the firms’ debtholders? What is the expected payoff to the firm’s stockholders?

 

Apr 13 2021 View more View Less

Answer (Solved)

question Subscribe To Get Solution

Related Questions