Charles Austin of the controller's office of Thompson Corporation was given the assignment of determining the basic and diluted earnings per share values for the year ending December 31, 2013. Austin has compiled the information listed below.
1. The company is authorized to issue 8,000,000 shares of $10 par value common stock. As of December 31, 2012, 2,000,000 shares had been issued and were outstanding.
2. The per share market prices of the common stock on selected dates were as follows.
Price per Share
July 1, 2012 $20.00
January 1, 2013 21.00
April 1, 2013 25.00
July 1, 2013 11.00
August 1, 2013 10.50
November 1, 2013 9.00
December 31, 2013 10.00
3. A total of 700,000 shares of an authorized 1,200,000 shares of convertible preferred stock had been issued on July 1, 2012. The stock was issued at its par value of $25, and it has a cumulative dividend of $3 per share. The stock is convertible into common stock at the rate of one share of convertible preferred for one share of common. The rate of conversion is to be automatically adjusted for stock splits and stock dividends. Dividends are paid quarterly on September 30, December 31, March 31, and June 30.
4. Thompson Corporation is subject to a 40% income tax rate.
5. The after-tax net income for the year ended December 31, 2013, was $11,550,000.
The following specific activities took place during 2013.
1. January 1 A 5% common stock dividend was issued. The dividend had been declared on December 1, 2012, to all stockholders of record on December 29, 2012.
2. April 1 A total of 400,000 shares of the $3 convertible preferred stock was converted into common stock. The company issued new common stock and retired the preferred stock. This was the only conversion of the preferred stock during 2013.
3. July 1 A 2-for-1 split of the common stock became effective on this date. The board of directors had authorized the split on June 1.
4. August 1 A total of 300,000 shares of common stock were issued to acquire a factory building.
5. November 1 A total of 24,000 shares of common stock were purchased on the open market at $9 per share. These shares were to be held as treasury stock and were still in the treasury as of December 31, 2013.
6. Common stock cash dividends Cash dividends to common stockholders were declared and paid as follows.
April 15 $0.30 per share
October 15 $0.20 per share
7. Preferred stock cash dividends Cash dividends to preferred stockholders were declared and paid as scheduled.
(a) Determine the number of shares used to compute basic earnings per share for the year ended December 31, 2013.
(b) Determine the number of shares used to compute diluted earnings per share for the year ended December 31, 2013.
(c) Compute the adjusted net income to be used as the numerator in the basic earnings per share calculation for the year ended December 31, 2013.
If 3.0 g of substance A decomposes for 36 minutes the mass of unreacted A remaining is found to be 0.375 g. What is the half-life of this reaction if it follows first-o...Jul 20 2021
Assume Earl Coffee Roasters Corporation ended the month of August 2016 with these data: Requirement Prepare the statement of cash flows of Earl Coffee Roasters Corporatio...Apr 02 2020
Day's sales in receivables: A company has net income of $186,000, a profit margin of 7.9 percent , and accounts receivable balance of $123840. Assuming 70 percent of sale...Jul 07 2021
In the last 30 years in China population under the poverty line has decreased significantly. Write a factor that might be behind this trend. (You don’t need to look to ac...Apr 15 2020
A compound is found to contain 31.42 % sulfur, 31.35 % oxygen, and 37.23 % fluorine by mass. What is the empirical formula for this compound? The molar mass for this comp...Jun 15 2021
A monopolist is producing at an output level at which MR = $6 and MC = $9. It could increase profitsA) by increasing both output and price.B) by reducing output and by in...Dec 10 2019
Notice the costs as given in the table at right. What is the total fixed cost in the table below? Total Output Total Costs $10 15 18 20 21 O A. $10 O D. $5 23Apr 19 2020
A fair coin is flipped twice and the following payoffs are assigned to each of the four possible outcomes: H - H: win 20; H - T: win 9; T - H: lose 7; T - T: lose 16. Wha...Apr 14 2020
use the value of the linear correlation coefficient r to find the coefficient of determination and the percentage of the total variation that can be explained by the line...May 29 2021
How many peaks would you expect in the 1H NMR spectrum of 1,4-dimethylbenzene (para-xylene, or p-xylene)? What ratio of peak areas would you expect on integration of the ...Jul 31 2021