Brighton Manufacturing is reviewing its compensation system. The CEO wants employees to be paid wages and benefits comparable to Brighton's competitors. He wants a system that allows for maximum flexibility in reassigning workers to different jobs without requiring compensation adjustments each time. The Finance VP suggests that the company link compensation costs more closely to productivity and profit. When profits are down, compensation costs should be reduced as well. The Finance VP also believes that employees should be paid for what they produce, not for their time, and the compensation program should apply to all employees equally. The VP of HR suggests that the key to the company's success is their employees and advocates an individual-based compensation plan. People should be paid for their skills or knowledge, not just because they are fulfilling certain jobs. The VP of HR also feels that it would be simpler to implement a compensation system by level rather than by job.
31) Refer to Additional Case 10.1. The CEO is primarily concerned about:
A) external equity.
B) skill-based pay.
C) distributive justice.
D) internal equity.
32) Refer to Additional Case 10.1. The Finance VP would most likely favor a(n):
A) variable pay system.
B) membership-based system.
C) individual-centered system.
D) egalitarian compensation system.
33) The perceived fairness of an employee's pay relative to what other employees are being paid for the same labor describes the concept of internal equity.
34) The distributive justice model of pay equity holds that the wage rate for a given occupation is set at a point where the labor supply and labor demand are equally distributed.
35) Balancing equity ensures that employees with seniority will receive greater compensation than more recent hires.
36) The primary reason variable pay is the norm in U.S. industry is because it correlates labor costs with production costs and enhances a company's competitive position.
37) As an employee's base pay increases, it is likely that the percentage of variable pay that he or she receives will decrease.
38) Membership-contingent compensation provides a similar wage to every employee in a given group, so long as they perform their job satisfactorily.
39) The relative emphasis placed on performance versus membership depends largely on the organization's culture and beliefs of top management.
40) ________ is the perceived fairness of the pay structure within a firm.
41) ________ is the perceived fairness of individual pay decisions.
Shelton, Inc., has sales of $26 million, total assets of $24.8 million, and total debt of $8.1 million. Assume the profit margin is 10 percent.What is the company's net i...Aug 16 2021
Air, which may be considered as a mixture of 79 per- cent N 2 and 21 percent O 2 by mole numbers, is compressed isothermally at 200 K from 4 to 8 MPa in a steady-flow ...Jun 06 2020
Able, on behalf of Pix Corp., entered into a contract with Sky Corp., by which Sky agreed to sell computer equipment to Pix. Able disclosed to Sky that she was acting on ...Aug 14 2021
The IO3 , anion is called iodate. There are three related ions: IO, IO2 , and IO4 . Using what you have learned about similar groups of anions, write the name for each of...Jul 18 2021
A manufacturer of sprinkler systems used for fire protection in office buildings claims that the true average system-activation temperature is 130 . A sample of n=9 syste...Apr 10 2020
John invested $1,000 in a risky investment and Bill invested $1,000 in a less risky investment, One year later, Bill's investment is worth $1,030. Which of the following ...Apr 16 2021
You have $175,000 on deposit with no outstanding checks or uncleared deposits. One day you write a check for $18,000. What is your book balance?$157,000$158,500$175,000$1...Jun 03 2021
etermine the force P needed to hold the 64-lb weight in equilibrium. (Figure 1) Express your answer to three significant figures and include the appropriate units.May 24 2020
In the Clean Air Act, Congress allowed California, which has particular problems with clean air, to adopt its own standard for emissions from cars and trucks. California'...Aug 19 2021
A shaft 12.5 mm diameter rotates in long bearings and a disc of mass 16 kg is secured to a shaft at the middle of its length. The span of the shaft between the bearing i...Jun 21 2020