Home / Questions / Assume the firms in a perfectly competitive market are initially incurring economic losses
Assume the firms in a perfectly competitive market are initially incurring economic losses. An increase in supply would cause existing firms' economic losses to decrease.
84) Although an improvement in technology enables perfectly competitive firms to earn a positive economic profit in the short run, entry by new firms will ensure that those profits are eliminated over time.
85) When a perfectly competitive market is in long-run equilibrium, price is equal to marginal cost, the individual firm is operating at the minimum of its short-run and long-run average cost curves, and economic profit equals zero.
86) Because two percent of the largest farms grow half of all of the grain in the United States, the grain industry is technically classified as an oligopoly.
87) The estimated price-cost margin of 11.9 percent in the market for broiler chickens in 1992 suggested that there was a high degree of competition in that industry.
88) There is an inverse relationship between the price-cost margin and the level of competition in a particular industry.
89) The larger firms in the red-meat industry have blunted the effects of competition by relying on product differentiation, which in effect, creates a downward-sloping demand curve for each firm's product.
90) If firms in a perfectly competitive industry produce an undifferentiated product, it is not possible to increase profits of the individual firms in the industry by increasing market demand for the product because of the large number of available substitutes.
91) Between 1999 and 2007, the behavior of firms in the trucking industry closely matched the outcome predicted by the model of perfect competition.
92) High fuel prices and losses by smaller firms have resulted in a considerable amount of consolidation in the trucking industry, which now most closely resembles the oligopoly market structure.
93) Assume the price elasticity of supply for grade wheat has been estimated to be +0.82. This means that when the price of wheat increases by 10 percent, the quantity of wheat supplied to the market increases by 82 percent.
94) When the percentage change in quantity supplied is greater than the percentage change in price, supply is said to be elastic.
95) Because of the large number of firms that operate in the agricultural industry, the supply of agricultural products is inelastic over the entire range of output.
Dec 07 2019 View more View Less
The slope of the tangent line to the curve 2x+y+ x3 = 7 at(1,3) is O 15 O 2 15 No No o 15 2 O 2May 30 2021
Suppose your company imports computer motherboards from Singapore. You have just placed an order for 25,000 motherboards at a cost to you of 150.90 Singapore dollars each...Aug 06 2021
In a collective bargaining contract, factors related to shift operations and hazardous work are typically covered under the _____ provision. A.wage determinationB.job...Dec 10 2019
Hemming Co. reported the following current-year purchases andsales for its only product.DateActivitiesUnits Acquired at CostUnits Sold at RetailJan.1Beginning inventory14...May 29 2021
When the speed at which a conductor is moved through a magnetic field is increased, does the induced voltage increase, decrease, or remain the same?Aug 06 2020
Determine which of the following statements is descriptive in nature and which is inferential. Refer to the data below in How Old is My Fish?How Old is My FishAverage age...Jul 16 2020
Marathon Running Shop has two service departments (advertising and administrative) and two operating departments (shoes and clothing). During 2015, the departments had th...Dec 04 2019
Need problem geometry and free body diagram and solvegeometry should include direction vectors particle moment position vector etc.and label each vector and specify their...May 26 2020
The local police department must write on average five tickets per day to keep department revenues at budgeted levels. suppose the number of tickets written per day follo...Apr 08 2020
Find 5 different online mortgage lenders, such as this one.From these lenders find the following rates assuming the mortgage payments are made monthly >year if available...Feb 13 2020