Assume that in an effort to discourage competitors, firm X has lowered its price below its average total costs of production. This is an illustration of the limit pricing form of strategic entry deterrence.
73) Predatory pricing will be most effective when the costs structures of the firms in an industry, including potential entrants into the market, are identical or at least very similar.
74) In the case of Matsushita v. Zenith, the fact that the foreign television manufacturers were able to charge lower prices than their domestic competitors in the U.S. market for televisions was sufficient evidence to conclude that the Japanese firms were engaged in predatory pricing.
75) A predatory pricing strategy will have the greatest chance of success when the predatory price is set below the cost of the firm's competitors, new rivals are unlikely to enter after the strategy ends, and profits can be recouped in a relatively short period of time.
76) The overriding objective of a cartel is to maximize the amount of profit each of its members can earn through cooperation with the other members.
77) To maximize joint profits, the members of a cartel have to determine the level of industry output by setting marginal revenue qual to the cartel's joint marginal costs of production.
78) Assume a cartel that consists of two firms has determined its profit-maximizing level of output and must now decide how to allocate total output between the two firms. Assuming firm A's marginal costs are less than firm B's marginal costs, firm A should produce a smaller share of total output than firm B.
79) Because cooperation dominates noncooperation as a strategy for maximizing profits, cheating is rarely if ever an issue that cartels have to contend with.
80) All else constant, a cartel agreement will become more difficult to enforce as the number of firms competing the market increases and the members of the cartel produce a differentiated product.
81) OPEC has had a sustained effect on the price of oil since it was first founded in 1960.
82) Because there is no formal agreement among the participating firms, firms that engage in tacit collusion are exempt from prosecution under the anti-trust laws.
83) Although tacit collusion can enhance the price-setting power of the participating firms, it can also result in greater efficiency in production, which also benefits society. Thus, it is not immediately clear, a priori, when tacit collusion actually hurts or helps consumers.
84) A firm acting as a price leader would never reduce market price because this would clearly make all of the firms in the market worse off and defeat the purpose of having a firm act as the price leader.
85) Assume a monopolist regularly posts price increases three months in advance of when they will take effect. After a small number of new firms enter the market, the original firm continues the practice of announcing price increases in advance. Following the court's logic in the Ethyl case, the firms in this market would not be guilty of price fixing behavior.
86) Price coordination among firms will be more difficult when there are substantial differences among the cost structures of the competing firms and the technologies they employ.
You are conducting a survey to assess hiring expectations for companies in the region. You take a sample of 40 manufacturing companies and 60 service companies. On averag...May 02 2020
A person who had applied for the post of a service representative, is asked to handle a simulated situation involving a complaining customer, by the company. Which of the...Apr 06 2018
Craig Company asksyou to review its December 31, 2014, inventory values and preparethe necessary adjustments to the books. The following informationis given to you. 1 C...Aug 16 2021
Can you convert Bitcoin to Cash?If so how?Does Bitcoin have other cryptocurrency rivals? If so, who?How big is the Bitcoin market in dollars?Aug 31 2020
Describe, define and explain in detail what is ICD-9-CM and why is it used, be specific.Aug 07 2021
The members of the Vierendeel girder shown in Figure S9.5have the relative plastic moments of resistance shown ringed, and the frame is to collapse under the loading show...Jul 09 2020
Engineering Mathematics and Numerical Analysis Basic Test - Subtopics Linear Algebra. Algebra, Inverse, and rank of Matrices. ... Calculus. Limit, continuity, and differe...Aug 02 2020
Prepare the balance sheets of parent ltd and the consolidated balance sheet as at 1 January 20x7 after each transation, using for each qution the balance sheets of parent...May 23 2020
True or False? In Exercises 97-100, determine whether the statement is true or false. If it is false, explain why or give an example that shows it is false.The curve give...Aug 13 2021
write the formula of a reagent which will form a precipitatewith a solution of CuCl2, but not with a solution ofMgCl2. and write the formula of the precipitate whichforms.Jul 31 2021