Using the violation of social norms approach, which of the following persons is engaged
in abnormal behavior?
A) A Thai woman “runs amok.”
B) An Ethiopian says he’s possessed by “Zar.”
C) A Vietnamese man believes his penis is retracting into his abdomen.
D) All of these options
2. The purpose of the DSM-IV-TR is to provide ____.
A) descriptions of disorders
B) explanations of the causes of disorders
C) treatment recommendations for disorders
D) all of these options
3. “Insanity” is a _____ term that is used in _____% of cases that reach trial.
A) psychological; 1%
B) legal; 1%
C) psychological; 3%
D) legal; 3%
4. Brenda has been up for days. She forgot to pay the rent, but is handing out money to the
homeless. When a police officer tries to talk to her about why she is wearing only her
bra and underwear in a public place, she rapidly answers, but her thoughts and her
words are quickly moving from one idea to another. The police officer would be correct
in suspecting that Brenda has _____.
A) drug-induced multiple personalities
B) a personality disorder
C) a bipolar disorder
D) hypothermic shock
5. John believes he is a famous code-cracker for the CIA, even though in reality, he is not.
John is having:
A) delusions of grandeur
B) delusions of persecution
C) delusions of reference
D) a normal day
6. Three of Yachi’s grandparents had schizophrenia. Both of Yumiko’s parents have it.
Tabia’s identical twin was just diagnosed with it. Who is MOST likely to someday be
diagnosed with schizophrenia as well?
D) They all have the same genetic susceptibility for schizophrenia
7. When Veda returned home after the worst typhoon in twenty years, her entire family
was dead and there was nothing left of her village. Veda wandered off and forgot her
name, and everything about her previous life. This is an example of a _____.
A) dissociate identity disorder
B) nervous breakdown
C) dissociative amnesia
D) dissociative fugue
8. Janese cuts her arms when overwhelmed by emotion, abruptly changes from laughter to
anger, and needs constant reassurance from others to feel any sense of self-worth. She is
MOST likely to be diagnosed with _____ disorder.
A) dissociative identity
B) borderline personality
C) multiple personality
D) major depression
9. Morris is having trouble sleeping, has lost his appetite, is too tired to go to work, and
cannot concentrate on simple television shows. It is MOST likely that Morris is
experiencing a _____.
A) generalized depressive disorder
B) generalized anxiety disorder
C) major depression
D) minor depression
10. Which of the following MOST clearly illustrates an obsessive-compulsive disorder?
A) Morgan washes her hands 10 times after learning that the patient she just treated
has hepatitis B.
B) Kendrick is so anxious about his speech for tomorrow that he reviews his notes 20
C) Constant sexual thoughts have made Lauryn anxious for several months. She now
carries a prayer book and feels pressured to read passages aloud over and over
again everywhere she goes.
D) Mason’s house was burglarized last week. He now checks the locks on his doors
and windows 5 times a night, and listens to the radio to stop worrying about his
11. Which of the following is NOT a myth about psychotherapy identified in your text?
A) There is one best therapy
B) People who go to therapists are crazy or weak
C) People taking medication don’t need therapy
D) Therapists can read your mind
E) All of the above are myths
12. Cognitive therapists assume that problem behaviors and emotions are caused by _____.
A) faulty thought processes and beliefs
B) negative self-image
C) incongruent belief systems
D) lack of self-discipline
13. Modern psychodynamic therapy is different from psychoanalysis for all but which of the
A) Treatment is briefer
B) Therapy occurs face-to-face
C) Therapist is more directive
D) Both A and C
E) All of the above are valid reasons
14. Barney read the script wrong three times in a row during this morning’s show. He
believes his career is over, and he is filled with self-hatred. Beck would say Barney is at
risk for developing depression because he is engaging in _____.
A) selective perception
D) self-defeating behavior
15. Which of the following statements is MOST likely to be said by a client-centered
A) “You’re right about that.”
B) “Your thinking is all mixed up.”
C) “You sound perplexed, uncertain about what to do.”
D) “Your mother thinks you are a unique, positive, and powerful person.”
Portland products is considering the purchase of one of three mutually excliusive projects for increasing production efficiency. The firm plans to use a 14% cost of capti...Jul 24 2021
1. Is the ammonia molecule polar or non-polar? Explain your answer based on the electronegativity of nitrogen and hydrogen atoms.2. Make a drawing to support your answer...May 22 2021
Frodo, a junior engineer at Baggins Metal Works is considering the introduction of a new line of products. In order to produce the new line, the company needs either a ma...Apr 05 2020
Using the accounting equation to analyse transactionsTiny Town Kennel earns service revenue by caring for the pets of customers. Tiny Town Kennel is organised as a corpor...Apr 22 2020
Steam enters a horizontal pipe operating at steady state with a specific enthalpy of 2,663 kJ/kg and a mass flow rate of 0.1 kg/s. At the exit, the specific enthalpy is ...May 08 2020
What is the molecular geometry of IF5(a) octahedral(b) square pyramidal(c) trigonal bipyramidal(d) tetrahedralMay 24 2021
ZNet Co. is a web-based retail company. The company reports the following for 2015. Sales $ 16,920,000 Operating income 5,076,000 Average invested assets 28,200,000 The c...Jul 25 2021
When the Fed buys government securities, ita. Lowers the cost of borrowing from the Fed, encouraging banks to make loans to the general public.b. Raise the cost of borrow...May 08 2021
The Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) of the Federal Reserve System is primarily for:(i) maintaining cash reserves that can be used to settle international transaction...Jul 11 2021
Grains of fine California beach sand are approximately spheres with an average radius of 50μm and are made of silicon dioxide, which has a density of 2600 kg/m3. What mas...Apr 21 2020