Growth patterns and nutrient transport in plants
1, Strong Seeds, #1-12
5. Record your results in Table 13-1.
6. Do the soaked beans differ in appearance from the seeds
before they were soaked? If so, describe the differences.
7. If there were differences in the dried vs. soaked beans,
what caused the differences you observed?
8. Was there a control in this experiment? If so, which
setup was it? Explain.
9. If you planted the beans you soaked in this experiment in
your garden along with an equal number of dried beans directly from the
package, predict which beans should sprout the most quickly. Explain.
10. Can germinating seeds lift half their weight? _____
Their own weight? _____
Double their weight? _____
Explain. Support your explanation with facts from your
11. If a seed failed to imbibe water, do you think this
would affect its ability to sprout successfully? Explain.
12. If you followed these instructions, then planted the
soaked beans, would you expect them to sprout successfully? Why or why not?
2, Responses to environmental stimuli,
3. Record the initial orientation of each seed (horizontal
Seed 1 â€“
Seed 2 â€“
Seed 3 â€“
Seed 4 â€“
4. Record your daily observations in Table 13-2.
5. Based on the results of your experiment, do you agree or
disagree with the following statement: â€œGravitropism caused shoots and stems to
grow up and roots to grow down no matter how the seeds are orientedâ€. Explain.
6. Based on the results of your experiment, what part of the
bean plant exhibited positive gravitropism? What part exhibited negative
gravitropism? (Remember, gravitropism is
directional growth toward or away from the force of gravity).
7. What color were the outer leaves and stems when they
first sprouted? ________
What color were they after several days? ________
What substance caused the color change? ________
After the color change occurs, what process can the plant
carry out (that it couldnâ€™t do before the color change)? __________
8. For the seed to first sprout, it was necessary to add
__________ to each cup. To support continued plant growth, you would also
3, Structure and function
Transport of water and nutrients, #1-10
2. Record the time you place the celery stalks in the water:
4. How long did it take for the leaves to change color?
5. Describe the distribution of dye in the celery stalks.
6. Describe the location of the xylem tubes in Figure 13-4.
7. How does the food coloring move up the stem into the
leaves against gravity?
8. Why is sugar transported in this direction at this time
9. In early spring, stems that are damaged ooze a fluid
called sap. The sap is collected from various types of maple trees and used to
10. Predict the effect of the following environmental
conditions on transpiration rate. Explain each answer.
Hot summer temperatures:
Moist, humid air:
A windy day:
Several days without rain:
4, Tree ring analysis
Basics of tree ring analysis, #4
4. If a winter had much more snow than normal, what effect
would that probably have on the growth ring for the following spring? Explain.
question: Assuming this tree (see Figure 13-5)
was cut down this year, approximately what year was it planted? _____
Analyzing core samples, #1-4
1. In which year was the tree planted? _________
2. Is the year you were born a good growth year for the
3. Describe the growth pattern between 1979 and 1983.
4. List three environmental factors that might have
contributed to the growth ring pattern observed between 1979 and 1983.
Comparing Methods Consider the function(a) In general, how do you find the derivative of using the Product Rule, where g is a composite function?(b) Find r'x) using the P...Jul 30 2021
A significant part of any pay-for-performance system is using nonfinancial incentives as well as financial incentives.107) Team-based pay plans are the most widely-used p...Mar 13 2020
A monopolistically competitive industry is characterized byA. many firms, differentiated products, and barriers to entryB. many firms, differentiated products, and free e...Apr 28 2021
The estimate of uncollectible accounts is based on the monthly cash expenses. True or False?May 20 2021
Phase 5: evaluating results is most similar to which function of planning?May 09 2021
How can a company control management override to make sure it isdoing for the right purposes?May 25 2021
Differentiate between ROE and ROIC.Apr 24 2021
Two criteria for a toy store: a. average premium of $4000 (probability of 0.65) b. average annual net return of $1500(probability of 0.20) To improve the toy store, 2 alt...Apr 02 2020
2. ex - 2 lim x sinxMay 11 2021
A 4-L rigid tank contains 2 kg of saturate liquid-vapor mixture of water at 50degreeC, The water is now slowly heated until it exists in a single phase. At the final stat...Jun 05 2020