Balanced scorecard. (R. Kaplan, adapted) Petrocal, Inc., refines gasoline and sells it through its own Petrocal gas stations. On the basis of market research, Petrocal determines that 60% of the overall gasoline market consists of “service-oriented customers,” medium- to high-income individuals who are willing to pay a higher price for gas if the gas stations can provide excellent customer service, such as a clean facility, a convenience store, friendly employees, a quick turnaround, the ability to pay by credit card, and high-octane premium gasoline. The remaining 40% of the overall market are “price shoppers” who look to buy the cheapest gasoline available. Petrocal’s strategy is to focus on the 60% of service-oriented customers. Petrocal’s balanced scorecard for 2017 follows. For brevity, the initiatives taken under each objective are omitted.
1. Was Petrocal successful in implementing its strategy in 2017? Explain your answer.
2. Would you have included some measure of employee satisfaction and employee training in the learning-and-growth perspective? Are these objectives critical to Petrocal for implementing its strategy? Why or why not? Explain briefly.
3. Explain how Petrocal did not achieve its target market share in the total gasoline market but still exceeded its financial targets. Is “market share of overall gasoline market” the correct measure of market share? Explain briefly.
4. Is there a cause-and-effect linkage between improvements in the measures in the internal-businessprocess perspective and the measure in the customer perspective? That is, would you add other measures to the internal-business-process perspective or the customer perspective? Why or why not? Explain briefly.
5. Do you agree with Petrocal’s decision not to include measures of changes in operating income from productivity improvements under the financial perspective of the balanced scorecard? Explain briefly.
Design capacity is the _____.(A) The oretical maximum output that can be achieved under ideal conditions(B) Actual production over a specified time period in ideal condit...Apr 27 2018
Eastern Gear, Inc., in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is a manufacturer of custom-made gears ranging in weight from a few ounces to over 50 pounds. The gears are made of dif...Aug 27 2020
The constant C in Chvorinov’s rule is given as 2.5 s/mm2, and is used to produce a cylindrical casting with a diameter of 50 mm and height of 125 mm. Estimate the time fo...May 10 2020
Volunteer Fabricators, Inc. (VF) currently has zero debt. It is a zero growthcompany, and it has the data shown below. Now the company is considering usingsome debt, movi...May 14 2020
QUESTION 1 The class Fruit is an abstract class. A. Please explain why the following statement is incorrect. B. Please explain why the Fruit class is useful in some way i...Jul 06 2020
Is a brief but accurate description of the drawing provided?Nov 27 2019
Please use the data BELLOW and use Excel to: a. verify that the sales and time can write as: St = a + b *t = -$8,937.7 + $1,908.5*tNote: you are expected to ente...May 11 2020
If you had started a savi ngs account that paid 4.5%, compounded monthly, and your payments into the account were the monthly payments for 625% interest as in Problem 8.2...Nov 29 2019
True/False1.The subfertility of one partner can be overcome by the reproductive capacity in the other partner.2.Estrogen levels in women play a role in the development of...Mar 13 2020
You and your best friend are enrolled in the Econ 201 course at the University of Regina. As part of the evaluation, you are required to work in pairs on a term project i...Apr 12 2021