Balanced scorecard. (R. Kaplan, adapted) Petrocal, Inc., refines gasoline and sells it through its own Petrocal gas stations. On the basis of market research, Petrocal determines that 60% of the overall gasoline market consists of “service-oriented customers,” medium- to high-income individuals who are willing to pay a higher price for gas if the gas stations can provide excellent customer service, such as a clean facility, a convenience store, friendly employees, a quick turnaround, the ability to pay by credit card, and high-octane premium gasoline. The remaining 40% of the overall market are “price shoppers” who look to buy the cheapest gasoline available. Petrocal’s strategy is to focus on the 60% of service-oriented customers. Petrocal’s balanced scorecard for 2017 follows. For brevity, the initiatives taken under each objective are omitted.
1. Was Petrocal successful in implementing its strategy in 2017? Explain your answer.
2. Would you have included some measure of employee satisfaction and employee training in the learning-and-growth perspective? Are these objectives critical to Petrocal for implementing its strategy? Why or why not? Explain briefly.
3. Explain how Petrocal did not achieve its target market share in the total gasoline market but still exceeded its financial targets. Is “market share of overall gasoline market” the correct measure of market share? Explain briefly.
4. Is there a cause-and-effect linkage between improvements in the measures in the internal-businessprocess perspective and the measure in the customer perspective? That is, would you add other measures to the internal-business-process perspective or the customer perspective? Why or why not? Explain briefly.
5. Do you agree with Petrocal’s decision not to include measures of changes in operating income from productivity improvements under the financial perspective of the balanced scorecard? Explain briefly.
Things were going smoothly at the Breaux Bridge Drug Co. pilot plant during the midnight to 8 a.m. shift until There`se Lagniappe, the reactor operator, let the run instr...Apr 26 2020
Exhaust gases at 1 atm and 300°C are used to preheat water in an industrial facility by passing them over a bank of tubes through which water is flowing at a rate of 6 kg...Jul 20 2020
In a 2- to 3-page Microsoft Word document, create a project charter for the project for developing a corporate Website. The project charter should consist of detailed des...Aug 01 2020
Consider the following two mutually exclusive projects:YearCash Flow (X)Cash Flow (Y)0Ac€?o$19,600Ac€?o$19,60018,7509,90028,9007,70038,7008,600Calculate the IRR for eac...Dec 03 2019
A company for one of the A class items placed 6 orders each of size 200 units in a year. Given ordering cost as Rs. 600, holding cost as 40% cost, cost per unit as Rs. 40...Aug 23 2020
Aed 200 Final ProjectShould Special Needs Students Be Exempt from Graduation TestAED/200Should Special Needs Students Be Exempt from Graduation TestThe debate of should s...Aug 09 2020
Suppose both the demand for olives and the supply of olives decline by equal amounts over some time period. Use graphical analysis to show the effect on equilibrium pric...Dec 05 2019
Granger Corp. stock currently sells for $48.29 per share. The market requires a 13 percent return on the firm's stock. If the company maintains a constant 5.5 percent gro...Apr 04 2020
Its a microsoft excel questions regarding this formula =D11*$B$42. which looks like =110760*40% this equal to 44304. which is correct. Now i want to discount that amount ...Dec 04 2019
In a competitive market, the actions of any single buyer or seller will:a. Discourage entry by competitors,b. Influence the profits of other firms in the market,c. Have a...Jun 11 2021